On Sunday morning, I woke up early because it was so light, and so did Asha. I tried my best to race to her crib and find the soother so that she'd go back to sleep. Well, I didn't get there in time and at 7:05 she was awake. So much for the sleep-in. Sigh.
Carl and I decided that since she was up, we'd get up and head back to Winnipeg. We grabbed some breakfast at the hotel and by 8:00 we were driving back. Asha fell asleep (grrr....) and the two of us had a chance to visit a bit.
We got to church a bit after 10 and so it was nice to visit with people as they came up from Sunday School. I also was excited because there was going to be a feature that celebrated the grads of this year and I knew it would be special for Carl. (Though a little side note, I forgot to call the church office to have his name put in the bulletin, and he was almost missed when they called up the grads; I felt like such a heel that I didn't do my part and I was disappointed that he was overlooked....:( Sorry Carl).
I hung around the foyer for a bit, expecting that Judy would be around any minute with the kids. At 10:45 the service was starting, but there was no sign of the three of them. I decided to join Carl and Asha in the service.
Around 11:00 they still weren't there, and so Carl said I should call. We wondered if Judy was sick and needed us to pick up the kids. When I called, Judy was fine; she had been trying to get in touch with us, but the hotel said we hadn't checked out yet and couldn't find us, because Kezia had a high fever. What a fine time to be without a cell phone! Had Judy been told that we had left, she would have left a message at our house and at church. So she came to pick me up at church, we dropped off Joel with Carl and Asha and the three of us headed to the hospital.
I felt so bad for Kezia, and so glad that Carl was nudged to call Judy. Poor Kezia had a fever since the night before and medicine wasn't bringing it down. When we got to the hospital, her fever was 40 (about 104), but despite her feeling just awful, she never once complained. When the nurse asked her how she was doing, she smarted her eyes and said, "good" despite her quivering chin. I told her it was okay to tell the nurse how she was really feeling (you don't need to be social!) and then she said, "awful". We saw the doctor pretty quickly (he was wonderful), and he checked her for all the possible scary illnesses. Thankfully he found that Kezia just had a really bad case of the flu. He told us she might break out into spots, or throw up, but she'd get better with lots of sleep and liquid.
Judy drove Kezia and I home and she went up to bed and slept for 3 hours. We were planning to go to Ryan and Dawn's house, but we called and rescheduled for another time. So, we were just going to have a quiet day at home, praying that the other two kids wouldn't get sick.
Around 4:00, the doorbell rang. It was Carl's brother Wendell and his wife Shana. They had come to drop off a few things for us, and so we asked them if they wanted to come in (I think they have pretty hearty immune systems!). I've missed people just dropping by and now we actually have room as compared to our small apartment in Fresno. It was getting close to supper, so Wendell and Carl whipped up a great meal. Kezia got up and looked a bit better. She was so happy that her uncle and auntie had come over.
By evening, she was feeling much better and the rest of us were glad that though the day started off a bit rough, it ended up to be quite a nice day.
2 comments:
funny how those illnesses come at times we are too busy for them. so happt to hear that she is well again...thanks for the heads up though...my kids didn't get it either.
you are quite spoiled to have a hubby to loves to be in the kitchen...what did he whip up?
Glad to hear she is okay!!
Have a great weekend!
Post a Comment