On Wednesday I decided that I needed to go and try and get my driver's license. Our phone wasn't hooked up yet, so I couldn't make any appointments. Around 10:30 I grabbed my purse, took my documentation and headed to the insurance place up the road.
When I got there, I realized that the recent Visa bill I had taken didn't have my address on it. No, I torn that off yesterday when I mailed in my bill. I smiled pleasantly at the guy behind the counter and said it wouldn't be a big deal for me to drive home and get something else with my current address on it. I jumped back into the van and start up the road.
Well, there's construction on Henderson, so I couldn't just turn around. So I drove a bit farther north, but the cross roads were roped off....okay, so I kept driving until Kimberly. I turned left, and then left again down the back alley. I'm getting a bit frustrated because there are huge construction trucks everywhere. Hmmm....this is getting to be a bigger hassle then I thought.
I drive south and then attempt to turn back onto Henderson south bound. Nope, it's all roped off. Okay, so I turn around and try another cross street. Nope. Another one. NOPE. I get to the last street and I still can't turn on. I feel the rage monster growing inside of me. I turn around and go north again, BACK TO KIMBERLY, turn right and finally get onto Henderson South. I have driven about 15 extra blocks. Yikes. I get home and I want to make sure that I get the proper documents. I take my mortgage paper, my last utility bill, my passport, my MB health card and my birth certificate. I am ready.
I get back to the driver's licensing place and put all my stuff in front of the guy. He was very helpful and he remembered Carl from yesterday. He makes just one phone call to clarify with the licensing dept. about all my documents (he was very impressed with my over-preparedness) but the lady on the phone didn't seem to care that I brought my mortgage paper. She said that the documents have to be no more than 90 days old. Mr. Helpful was getting quite frustrated with her and kept telling her that I brought in my mortgage and who has a mortgage that is less than 90 days old? His neck was getting red and even though I was trying to smile and be calm, the rage monster was getting large.
"Okay, is this lady crazy? What sense does she carry around with her? I JUST moved, and NO I'm not from out of the country, I just stayed out for a while. Hey, I know this crazy irrational driver licensing lady.....SHE'S FROM CALIFORNIA DMV!!! She knows it's me, she figured out where I was and is just trying to make my life difficult. I can't believe this!!!"
Okay, Kathy simmer down....there's probably more than one incompetent, irrational, insensitive person working in a vehicle licensing department. They aren't all in California....yes, there are some in Manitoba. Oh, I can't ever escape it!
By this time my throat was hurting I was so mad. Well, there was nothing we could do because now that she had my license number, even if Mr. Helpful tried to override her, she'd know it was me and the deny it. ARG!
So I walked out of the there with no license and about an hour of wasted time. I went to Don's Photo to order some pictures, but their crazy picture machine wouldn't read my disk that I brought in. How frustrating! I don't know why I didn't order all the pictures I needed while we were in California. Do 30 extra 4x6's really take up that much room? My heart couldn't take any more strife, so I walked out of there, empty handed.
Once I got home, I had some lunch and ranted and raved to Carl about my frustrating morning. I was thankful that the kids and I were planning to head to Danae's house for a visit. That would at least redeem the day.
Joel, Kezia and I hopped onto our bikes and took a ride to Danae's. Kaia was very happy to have us and the kids played in the sandbox and on the play structure until Hadley woke up. Danae and I had a great visit and I enjoyed looking at her scrapbook that she had been working on this year. Afterwards we went to the park with the kids and tried to dodge all the gross worms hanging from the trees. Normally at this time of year, they would be gone, but because it's been so cool, their time in tormenting us was delayed. Oh well.
By 4:00 we headed home and got ready to go to Angel and Blanca's for supper. They just bought a new house in May and it was nice to see their place. Sarai was very smiley and it was cute to see her interact with Joel, Kezia, and Asha. We had a lovely meal, but by 7:30 the kids were getting tired and it was time to head home. Kezia braided Blanca's hair before we left and then we headed home.
It was sure nice to visit with friends again, but what a wacky day. Well, actually the first part was, but the last half of the day with Danae and the girls and Angel and Blanca was wonderful.
No comments:
Post a Comment