Well, the last few weeks have brought some blessings through school.
The first was a invitation for a playdate by one of Joel's classmates. I was pleasantly surprised when I got a note in English inviting us to play at Camilo's house. It turned out that he lives quite close to us and as we hopped into a vehicle, driving to his house, life seemed to have a small resemblance to our previous normalcy. That was nice. We had a good time with Camilo and his mom Julie, is a really neat gal. She was born in Argentina to American parents and lived most of her life in South America. She's married to a Bolivian, and said she was glad to find an English speaking friend. I am glad for a friend that can give me more insights into life here. A new friend for both of us, that will continue to be a blessing.
Then last week the school hosted a family activity day, for Dia de la Familia. It's a bigger deal than Mother's and Father's Day, simply because it doesn't leave anyone out if they don't have a mother or father. It was a Sunday morning, and we showed up 30 minutes late according to the teachers, but an hour early according to the rest of the families! The kinder and pre-kinder theme for the decorations and activties was The Smurfs so we all wore Pitufo hats. Each class up to grade 12 had a theme and costume. It was kind of goofy and fun and the same time. It was a nice morning to play crazy family games together, mingle with other people, and watch the kids perform their little songs and dances.
And a few days ago, Carl and I went to our first parent/teacher interviews. We were a bit confused where we were suppose to pick up their report card, but once we figured that out, we stood in line to talk to the teachers. I was glad that I was able to follow most of the conversation (on a side note, I've hit a bit of a wall with my listen comprehension...sigh) and ask questions. Kezia's teacher, Prof. Heidy was very pleased with Kezia's progress and said that language was not an issue for her. She understands, listens, respectfully obeys, and plays really well with the other kids. She did say that she likes to take her time with things, and puts a lot of detail into her work. She scored 70/70 in all her subjects, and music and science she scored 65/70.
For Joel, his teacher Prof. Marta, was also very happy with his progress. She said that he is becoming more vocal in class, and is certainly understanding everything that he is being asked of him. She said he's a really hard worker, he is a good listener, and has quite the sense of humour! He is starting to read in Spanish and can hardly put books down. Joel scored 70/70 out of all his subjects and science he scored 65/70. Prof. Marta also said that he plays really well with the other boys, even if they start to play rough or mean, he doesn't join in. That made us really proud.
I think about when we first came to the school, how terrifying the new experience was. I could hardly talk to the teachers, we couldn't remember their names, we had no clue what was going on. And now, we can join in with extra-curricular activities, we have school friends, we can talk to the teachers. Not to say we still have a lot to figure out, but it's nice to have experiences through school that make it feel more like home.
5 comments:
In case you are wondering, the cute little smurf beside my family is, sigh, not me. Though I so wanted the dress and blue make-upped body, I am not in the picture, as I am the famous photographer that captured the moment!
i was gonna ask about that picture! smurfs, huh? haven't heard about them in a long time! have good to see your kids adjusting so well and doing so well in school! and I am amazed daily with your language skills!!!...you make me so proud!
Oh that is so exciting to hear they are adjusting well and enjoying school!!
And to find an english speaking friend...a blessing I am sure!
That is definitely strange that your school year is just beginning as ours is ending.
Cute smurf picture though! :) Sometimes it sucks always being the photographer though, huh? I bet you would've been the sexiest Smurf ever!!
FUN! Love the hats. Did you get to keep them? you can wear them for special holidays!
Post a Comment