You know there are events in parenthood that are totally inevitable. Things like getting peed on by a newborn, puked on by a toddler, having something electronic flushed down the toilet.
Well, we had what I'd call, one of the "inevitables" happen today. It happened to a friend of mine just a few weeks ago, and I commented to her, "Yeah, I'm sure that we're next. Asha, the way she is, and Kezia with her love of....". I always figured Asha would either start the particular deed and Kezia would be the necessary acomplice to further the severity of it.
So here's how the conversation this evening went, after I horrifically discovered what happened.
Mom, P.I: Can you tell me anything that you and Asha did today?
First Suspect (aka Joel): Well, we played in the sprinkler, we coloured, we dumped water in the sandbox, we ate sandwiches, we.....
Mom: No, no, I mean what did you do with her and these! (Mom holds up object)
Joel: (gives blank stare and swallows hard) I can't remember...uh....
Mom: Think of how it will make things much more complicated if you are planning to tell me a lie.
(big pause, while Joel looks right, looks down, and then finally looks to Mom)
Joel: We were taking turns!
Mom: What?!
Joel: Well, first she wanted to cut my hair, but then I cut hers. We were taking turns nicely.
Mom: (Bites lip, either from trying not to scream or laugh) Taking turns?
Joel: Yeah.....
Mom: (after long pause to compose herself) Well, it's good that you told me the truth, but honestly son, she's going to look goofy until Christmas! And the worst part about it, is you don't even have any hair for her to cut off!
So now Asha has this gouge of baldness right in the front of her head. It's quite a bit shorter than the rest, but maybe it's not as bad as it seems right now. We didn't even notice it until she had her shower. Sigh, well, I'm sure with the hot weather her hair will grow faster. We can only hope.
Well, check off that inevitable. For this week. Or maybe for today. Kezia has been talking about bangs and if she finds out Joel is a self-proclaimed barber, we might have a problem.
4 comments:
...just wondering if you've met jake & dorothy fehr..i cooked with dorothy in a CSSM camp years ago!! marge a.(roo's mom)
Hi Marge. Yes, we have met Jake and Dorothy. I go to bible study with her and we had our wind up last year at their place. I was looking at the fridge and saw your family picture there. She couldn't believe that I knew of your family. We were neighbours with Sherwood and Jocelyn, lived just 2 doors down. And my roommates and I were living in the same apartment building as Brian before him and Ruth were married. What a small world, eh?
i. feel. your. pain! seriously...why do they do this to us??? i suppose it will grow back!i was just thinking about that this week...wondering when i'll experience this with my kiddos!
oh man!!what a story...i remember doing that once when i was being BABYSAT and the babysitter kept asking me, "ruthie, have you lost some hair" (it was rather obvious) and i just flat out LIED..."nope...don't know what your talking about..." i lied and lied and lied and nothing could crack me. ahhhh!
Post a Comment