This past week, we had a three day retreat with all of the MCC staff. I was on the planning committee, and I had the opportunity to lend my perspectives, ideas, and of course hands to help with the work, in preparing for it all.
We decided to go to Samaipata, three hours away in the mountains. Carl and I had checked out a few places when we took Andy and Cassie to Moro Moro. We as a committee f-i-n-a-l-l-y settled on a location, and after about 4 confusing phone calls to the owners, paid and booked a lovely retreat place; equipped with various cabins and meeting places, a pool, and a lovely eating area. It was a great spot for our retreat.
I was so thrilled with the gals that came to do the child-care. Maritza was amazing. She had crafts for the kids, all 15 of them ranging from ages 1-14. Her friend Paola was also helping, and I was so impressed with how they handled and entertained the kids.
The sessions were much better this year, in the fact that I could actually understand most of them. The speaker was from one of the local churches, and gave messages and led discussions on mission, what it means for us personally and as an organization. Thought provoking stuff....
The food was divine, I ate way too much.
The beds were cozy and I loved our little room.
The afternoons were spent lounging around, resting, visiting, eating more.
A highlight was going to the cafe up the road with some of the other MCC ladies and enjoying tea and RHUBARB pie. Yes! They grow rhubarb in Samaipata. I haven't had it for over a year! And to think while I was in Manitoba, complaining how I had too much rhubarb, and what am I suppose to do with it all, and boo-hoo I don't have room in my freezer. Never again will I complain.....
I bought 2 kg and can't wait to make pie once strawberries come into season! (stop drooling Kathy, you'll wreck the computer).
The time for us to leave was fast approaching, unlike the scheduled buses that were supposed to pick us up. Sigh....so we waited in the hot sun, while the kids all whined about wanting to get into the pool. Some of the older ones waded in after rolling up their pants. Who knew when the bus would show up and our bags were already all packed.
Well, first Joel got his pants soaked. Then Asha stumbled on the step into the pool and got completely wet. So hauled out our bags, and changed the kids' into shorts, all three of them. Kezia bounded off, and within, oh, I'd say 45 seconds...honestly!, fell into the pool. She was a quick one though, immediately turning herself in the deep end and lunging for the edge. It was kind of scary for her, but she was scooped out pretty quick.
So with two kids soaked from the pool, I was thinking just let them go in already! And.....then the bus shows up. Arg!
We hopped on the bus, and enjoyed the scenic ride back to Santa Cruz. I don't think I'll ever get tired of traveling to Samaipata. It's really quite the destination spot when you want to relax and have a good time.
And that's what we did, all of us MCCers.


1 comment:
that Asha sure makes friends quick! all those pictures of her with different people...what a sweetheart. I'm so glad you had a good weekend and I hope you ate a marshmallow for me. Mmmmm, looks good.
Post a Comment