Monday, July 7, 2008

Good Insight

At 9:30 on Saturday, we welcomed some breakfast company that we had never met before. We've never seen a picture of these people, but we had numerous phone conversations and emails with them. They were pretty instrumental in our decision to go to Bolivia. Who was coming over? Well, Chris and Wendy, the couple that were the previous host couple in Santa Cruz. They had just left Bolivia on the 29th and happen to be in Winnipeg for the weekend. So they were able to spare 90 minutes and come and share with us more about their experience in Bolivia.

It was a rich 90 minutes. I enjoyed hearing their stories, little tidbits of information that we would find helpful. Wendy had brought her camera along to show us a little movie of the house where we will be living; Joel and Kezia loved that. I really appreciated it too. I remember when we were preparing to go to Fresno, the pictures and movie that Carl brought back made it so much easier to envision myself being there. I got a bit excited and I could see a twinkle in Carl's eye. After, when it was time for them to leave, we wished them well in their next adventure. I wondered how they felt being back. I wondered how they felt about us now going to a place that was obviously so dear to them. I wondered if they felt the time had flown by. And I wondered if in three years, we will be like them, and what will that be like?

After breakfast, Kezia and I headed off to do some errands. I went and got my driver's license.....YES, you heard right, I got it (though on a side note, The Lady could call and say that I might need to bring in my passport and the license is only valid until beginning of Aug., but let's not get negative and ruin a perfectly good day).

Then we went and picked up some pictures and stamps as well as a few other things. I had to make an extra trip, which was a bit frustrating, but again, I was trying to keep things positive.

I got home in time to get into something dressy and we all went to Tony and Marie's 50th anniversary celebration. It was nice to see some people we hadn't met yet since we've been back. Joel and Kezia managed to receive some money from Mary, who told them that Mom was suppose to take them for ice cream while we were in Akron. Asha sat on everyone's lap, except Judy's (and she even had strawberries, little toad!). Sigh. By 5:00, we were all tired and it dawned on me that we hadn't really started to pack for Akron. Ack! Carl said that we probably should be preparing more than we had, but no use in worrying about it now.

We got home, gave the kids something to eat, gave them baths and dumped them into bed by 7:00. Carl and I did more laundry and started packing. I wasn't feeling stressed out at all, because really, what does it help? It's not like you can get more done with worrying, right? By 10:00 we had everything packed, the laundry was put away, the house was tidy, and I was in my pajamas. Each night I have intentions of watching t.v., but I never manage to do it. I really should tank up on as much cable programming as I can, but maybe I should just accept the fact that I don't really like watching t.v. I would much rather make cards, or blog, or play around with pictures etc. on the computer, or go for bike rides, or....well, at least Carl is getting our money's worth with our cable. I know he'll miss the Space Channel when we move to Bolivia.

That evening I was looking forward to getting to Akron for orientation. I was looking forward to getting to know our team, learning more about MCC, having questions answered, and being put up for a while. No meal prep, no running around trying to get errands done, no crazy schedule of company (though I have enjoyed seeing people, I think three events in one day for 8 days straight is a bit ridiculous). We are going to be forced to focus on preparing for our assignment and I think that will be very good for us. I'm wondering what all we will learn.......

2 comments:

andrea said...

that is so cool that you could visit with Chris and Wendy, and with that, start envisioning your new life. i am so excited that you can be at Akron and focus on your new adventure. i'm not sure how you can handle your busy life, but your strength comes from Him...how awesome is that?

Kellan said...

So glad you finally got your lisence - shew!

Take care - Kellan