Okay, so this post is a little out of sequence, but hey! who's going to fret?
The day BEFORE Canada Day was a hot and sunny day and we decided to meet Byron and Kristal at their house and head out for a bike ride and picnic. We got to their house late morning (because I figured I would let the kids sleep in and Mama needs a bit more sleep these days). We lathered the kids in sunscreen, and we loaded our two youngest into our bike trailer, while Kristal loaded her two into theirs. We didn't really have a destination in mind we figured we'd just bike and when we were tired and there was a park, we'd stop for our picnic. Joel was riding his bike and I was wondering how far he'd be able to bike.
Well, we set off from their house, close to Misercordia Hospital and started down towards Assiniboine Park. We biked and biked, and Joel pedaled and pedaled. We passed a few parks, but everyone was happy so we kept going. Down the steep trails, and Joel managed to break and get to the bottom safely, and we kept cycling along. The sun was very warm and I was just loving it.
As we biked, we visited and the time just flew by. Before we knew it, we were at Assiniboine Park! We made our way towards the Pavilion and stopped for lunch. The four littlest kids were glad to be free of the trailer, but Joel sat for a while and rested his legs.
On the way back, we stopped at a park on Wellington Cres. and we adults hunkered down on the grass where the tiny patch of shade was! I'm sure those passing by thought we looked a bit silly.
Once we got back, everyone was hot and sweaty, so we put the kids' in their suits and they jumped in the kiddie pool, except Jack, who went for a nap, and Asha, who was suppose to be sleeping, but just hollered for 30 minutes.
By 4 o'clock we were getting tired and it was time to go home. I was so proud of Joel that he kept up with us adults on the bike trails. He was careful on the streets, managed to learn a few hand signals, and never once complained that he was tired. I think he was thrilled that he could bike with the adults.
When I got home I was curious to see how far we had gone. So I typed in the addresses on MapQuest. Now I don't know if the trails were a bit shorter than the direct road, but the distance said 7 km...one way....that's 14 km round trip. Wow! That's just amazing Joel! Now I'm really excited about our next bike trip.
2 comments:
wow! what a brave mom you are! not only is that far, it's busy too! so happy you could enjoy the day with Krystal and her kids. yet again, you recieve an 'aweome mom ' award!!!i am in awe of all you do...these days i'm cross eyed trying to swim thru paperwork...not that exciting!
That sounds like a lot of fun and that is really far - WOW!
See you soon - Kellan
Post a Comment