Yesterday I was just thrilled to tears because guess what was in my mailbox? Mail for ME. And it gets better. It was my Visa bill. A bill with my current address that is less than 90 days old!!!
You know what that means? I can go get my driver's license. And not a day too soon, because we're headed off for two weeks to Akron on Sunday.
Happy-go lucky, I head with the kids on Friday to the local insurance place. I see the nice guy who helped me so many times before and smile. I think his name is Jeff. Anyhoo, I place my current bill down with my old driver's license, my MB license, my MB health card, and my birth certificate.
He takes a photocopy of it all and makes the phone call to The Lady. He assures me that everything looks good and it shouldn't be too much longer. I sit down with the kids, and everyone is feeling happy.
I glance his way and notice he is talking very quietly into the phone with The Lady. I'm starting to get a bit worried. Joel and Kezia are quietly looking at magazines, Asha is making slobbery kisses on the glass door.
Jeff gets off the phone. He sighs and swallows hard. And then he tells me what The Lady said. Apparently because I brought in my birth certificate and it had my maiden name, I needed to bring in documentation that I had a legal name change. ?????????????? I brought in TWO driver's licenses that are issued in my married name; hey, one is even from THIS PROVINCE. Oh, and by the way, The Lady told Jeff that my MB license is still active, well, it was until she de-activated it. So I have, I mean HAD an active, current license with my married name, but it's still not good enough?
Now at this point is where I would have totally lost it. I probably would have started to cry and scream and growl and throw stuff as the rage monster would completely take over my rational mind and body. But instead...
A funny feeling of numbing calm washed over me. It was like I was in a surreal place of fuzzy bunnies and pretty fairies, a place where there is only happiness and joy and everyone rides a bike and doesn't need a driver's license. Maybe it helped that my children were there with their precious, innocent brown eyes looking at me; they are an antidote for the rage monster.
I got up and blankly looked at Jeff. I came to the conclusion that The Lady hates me; her kid probably failed my math class in and their life has been completely and utterly ruined because of me. And it has been her mission in life to punish me. That's the only thing I can think of why this process has been so life sucking, so maddening. Why else could it be so painful?
I walked out. This has been the fourth visit. Still no license. And I am powerless.
2 comments:
my heart breaks for you! that crazy lady sure is impossible...maybe she'll go on holidays soon! that's really tough...and trying to not be the rage monster in front of your kids is really tough. i'll pray that this will work out very soon and that you'll get youe licence back soon...along with your power.
Oh, I'm sorry this process is taking so long and is so draining - I hate when things are made so difficult. I will keep my fingers crossed that things turn around and you get your lisence soon!
Take care - Kellan
Post a Comment