Saturday, June 11, 2011

Me encantan los cafecitos y tesitos

The last few weeks we've been getting together A LOT for cafecitos (coffee time) and tesitos (tea time).  It's always about 4 or 5 in the afternoon and lasts for a few hours.  Along with the coffee or tea, there is always an assortment of amazing breads and sweets.  Cakes, cookies, cuñapés, empanadas, masaco, sonso.....yum!  There's always so much that you would of course have this tea/coffee time as supper.  No need to eat when you get home.

Last week I went to my friend Julie's house (her son is a classmate of Joel's) for tesito.  There were 8 other moms there who have children in the same class.  It was a really nice time to visit and to eat together.  I got a bit teary eyed thinking this was probably the last time I would be able to join all these moms like this....

Then on Saturday, we went to my friend Kenia's house to have cafecito with her family.  I had made brownies and then when we got there, Kenia and I  made cuñapé while her sister made cookies.  It was a time for us to spend with their family before our departure.  Oh, I was SO full after that.

Then on Sunday, we went to our co-worker, Eloina's house for her annual cafecito.  Now this is a big huge production.  Her and her neighbours bake for 2 days before, making about 10 different typical cafecito foods to sell for 20 cents a piece.  This year over 75 people came.  It was incredible.  She sets out tables in her yard and people stand in line, ordering food, mingling and visiting.  

I'm realizing a few things:
I love carbohydrates, and it's showing...
There's nothing tastier than cafecito in lieu of supper
And there's no better way to spend an afternoon than visiting with friends

2 comments:

andrea said...

what a fun way to spend the spend...though i agree about those nasty carbs for me too, being with friends and connecting sounds so rich in itself. God has truly blessed you Kathy with wonderful women in your life!

Friesen Family of Four said...

Kathy we're praying for you as you prepare to leave a home you have known for quite some time. Blessings to you as you reflect on the beautiful things that God has given you during your time in another country! He will continue to do so.