After my dismal attempt at getting a driver's license, the kids and I got back into the van and headed to Steinbach. Carl was there all day for our church conference's ministerial meeting and we were going to have dinner with his parents. The drive out was really quite nice. All the worries and cares of the world seemed to blow off my shoulders, out the window, and left behind on the pavement.
I could hear Joel and Kezia chattering in the back and it made me smile.
"Joel, you are my best brother ever".
"But I'm your only brother!"
"Yeah, but if I had a 29-62 Million brothers, you'd still be the best"
"Aw, thanks Kezie, I think you're a really great sister. And I think you're a great helper with Mom".
"And Mom is my best mom ever too"
"Yeah, mine too"
Once we got to Steinbach, we had lovely, encouraging conversation with Carl's parents. It was great that Mom and Dad sympathized with my license struggle. But, hey, what can you do.
The kids had a great time getting pushed on the swings by Grandpa and then it was time to eat. We had a great meal and a nice visit.
That evening we went to the evening session at conference convention. It was nice to meet up with some familiar people and reconnect again; we said, "Hi! We're back from California!", and "Bye, we're leaving for Bolivia", all in one conversation. I really enjoyed the music and the missions report was great. Each year I find it hard to connect with someone who shares for 15 minutes about people and a place I've never been. But over the last while, they have started to have visual powerpoint or slideshow presentations (which is so helpful for this visual, post-modern girl) that show where they served, pictures of people they encountered, all with music. It's really quite amazing. I'm prompted to connect with them, to partner with them in their ministry and to remember the faces of the people they served. Some of these presentations are so moving, I'm ready to jump up and yell, "I'll go to serve tomorrow!"
This year the disappointing part (which usually there isn't) was the speaker. I didn't like his theology and what he was preaching. It gave me a lot to think about, but I'll blog about that another time, because I have been thinking about some things lately.....
Carl was really bothered and went and spoke to the speaker after the session. It wasn't like Carl was going to get anywhere with this guy, who has a doctorate degree, but I was proud of Carl that he voiced his displeasure. Not a lot of people would have the nerve to do that.
We got home and the kids were exhausted. I did a bit of laundry and Carl tidied up the house a bit. We were having company in 11 hours.
2 comments:
isn't so wonderful when the kiddos show love to each other and express their feelings...and the coolest part is that they have been taught that by our example. Sorry that the session you were at was questionable but i love hearing how you were inspired and ready to serve...you are like Jesus to me.
I love that conversation between the kids!! What a sweet thing to over-hear!
Post a Comment