Carl and the kids went to pick them up and take them to our church, but Asha and I had to stay home because the gardener didn't show up and someone had to stay on the grounds. They all went out for lunch afterwards and around 1:30 they came home.
I was a bit nervous about meeting them because my Spanish isn't that great and I wanted them to feel welcome and not awkward. They greeted Asha and I with hugs and kisses and we showed them around. Clemente is 13 and Mery is 10 and they enjoyed playing with Joel and Kezia for part of the afternoon.
Then it was on to our next activity. I thought it would be fun for us to bake together, so we all made Christmas sugar cookies. Clemente loves to bake and so he was thrilled. We made quite a mess, but we had fun and the conversation went easier than I expected. They understood me!
Afterwards, we ate some of the fruits of our labour, but not before Clemente washed all the dishes. It was very sweet.
We showed them pictures of our family on the computer, took them to the cancha to play, and walked around the grounds. Kezia loved Mery, which made Mery feel pretty special. It was great to see.
Before long, it was time for a quick bit of sandwiches. The day had flown by really quickly. The kids gave us some treats as a thank-you for having them, and when we brought them back, Mery showed us her room. It was special to have them at our house; to provide for them an opportunity to be with a regular family (because I don't think we're that normal, ha ha!), to have a connection outside of people in the children's home. Our kids benefitted as well, and are already asking when they can come over again.
2 comments:
That is SO neat!
What great memories for your kids!!
HUGS
Joel doesn't look too happy in that last picture. Man Kathy, you look great though (can I say it enough?)! You seem to really be thriving.
Post a Comment