Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas 2008

So this was our first Christmas in Bolivia. The days weren't blazing hot, in fact, it was rainy and refreshing.

The few days prior, Carl and I went to Nueva Feria and bought the kids Christmas gifts from their grandparents and great-grandparents. From my side (Buhler/Plett), we bought the kids a pool and from Carl's side (Heppner/Bergen) we bought the kids a CD player and Asha a little scooter.

I had gone to a school garage sale a few weeks before and picked up some things for the kids and Carl. We didn't spend much, and everything was used, but I figure that was okay; it's recycling and the grandparents were splurging on the kids this year!

For Christmas Eve, we went to the English church for a candle light at 6:30. I always love those. It was warm and breezy, and the kids played in the grassed courtyard while the service went on. It was nice to sing familiar Christmas caroles (although close to my top pick is Es Navidad that we sang at church on Sunday). After the service, we visited a bit with Darryl and Elaine and the pastors. We then went to our next event.

We arrived at Talita Cumi, the children's home where we hosted Mery and Clemente a few weeks ago. There were families there that had hosted kids, as well as workers and their families. They had a little concert and then a great meal afterwards. My stomach was so full and I wondered if I would sleep eating so late, yet again. Asha and Kezia gots LOTS of hugs and kisses and I was asked by 3 separate girls when it was going to be their turn to hold the baby.

The highlight of the evening was watching the kids there open their presents. They were all so happy. We all got to hand out the presents and wish the kids Feliz Navidad. I explained to Kezia and Joel that they had presents at home, and these kids are opening their's now because this is their home and we're like their family.

We headed home with Cesar and Lizette and the kids, Remy and Tony (SALTers) by about 10:30. Asha was pretty blitzed and I knew it wouldn't be long before she was D-O-N-E.

Carl and I put the kids to bed and at 11:30, we started wrapping the presents. Geez, why do we wait until the last minute? Carl was so tired, but he felt that he should stay and help me wrap gifts. And it was actually quite exciting as we wrapped, thinking of the kids' reactions the next morning. We took a little break around midnight when all the firecrackers and fireworks went off. All evening it had been loud, but NOTHING compared to the midnight blitz. With all the noise, the explosions and lights, it must have been something like Beirut.

We didn't roll out of bed until 9:30 the next morning, which was quite shocking! We opened stockings, had fruit smoothies for breakfast, and then opened presents. It was great seeing the kids' expressions. They were thrilled with the gifts that were sent from Canada, and it meant a lot to us that the kids could open little things from their grandparents back in Canada.

After the gifts were opened, Carl and I, along with some other MCCers cooked together and made our Christmas dinner. It was SO good. My gut still ached from the night before, but I just ignored it and helped myself to more stuffing. I can always cut back another day! It was good to spend Christmas with our friends here, even though we really missed our family back home.

We did dishes and then went outside to light more firecrackers. That was a huge hit, maybe more so for the adults than the kids.

And then it was done. The wrapping, the meal, the services, the concerts, the presents. It seemed like a whirlwind. The rest of the day was spent skyping with family, which gave us the opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and for the kids to say thanks for the gifts.

Definitely a good and unique Christmas.

1 comment:

andrea said...

looks like your family had a great Christmas! ...i just am trying to get over the no snow...in fact, swimming weather! happy that your day was fun and memorable!