Over the last few weeks, I've had a couple of opportunities to be challenged in my thinking. The first place was at our ladies bible study, we've been studying Beth Moore's Living Beyond Yourself. The second place is in a few books that I've been reading. So I thought I would share what's been going on in my mind....
The last session of our ladies bible study was a video session. I have enjoyed each of the videos, but this one in particular hit closer to home for me. It was on the concept of peace.
I was struck with the deeper meaning of a peacekeeper and a peacemaker. I hadn't ever given those two descriptions much thought until now. I realized that they are vastly different. A peacekeeper keeps "peace" at any cost, basically trying to keep away conflict. But a peacemaker implies someone who is working towards a state of peace, a state of health or shalom.
As Beth was talking throughout the video, I realized that in many times in my life, I have been guilty of being a peacekeeper. I didn't want to rock the boat, I wanted people to keep liking me, I didn't want to challenge the status quo, I didn't want to dig deeper. But I was unhappy and at times tormented doing that. There was no peace in my heart while I was a peacekeeper and it was very energy draining.
As I pondered that, I realized that a peacemaker actively seeks and works towards peace; and sometimes that is messy. That means that as a peacemaker, the boat gets rocked, things get said, situations are illuminated. If something is going on that is unhealthy, a peacemaker speaks to that. Peacemaking isn't neat and tidy and fun, it is demanding, exhausting, and continual, but for a fruitful end of health. I realized that night, that I would rather be a peacemaker than a peacekeeper. How timely this lesson has been in light of our past few months and in the times to come. "Blessed are the peacemakers...."
I'm in the middle of reading Cross Cultural Connections by Duane Elmer. I had intended to read it before we came to Bolivia, but alas, I ran out of time! The book is definitely a must read for those planning to do any type of cross cultural ministry, whether it be far or close to home. Duane also says his book is a good read for those that are getting married. Goodness, a cross cultural, premarital manual, all wrapped into one! There were a few quotes that spoke to me:
If the relationship is strong, then the truth will be accepted. ~ Burmese proverb
We stand in awe of the ocean,
The thunderstorm, The sunset,
The mountains;
But we pass by
A human being
Without notice
Even though
The person
Is God's most
Magnificent Creation.
~ Augustine
If you want to travel fast.....go alone. If you want to travel far......go together. ~ African Proverb
Finally, the third thing that made me stop and go hmmmmm.....to myself was in a book I just finished, The School of Dying Graces by Richard Felix. I got it for Christmas about 2 years ago and though I started it right after I got it, I only completed it now. Oops! Again, for want of time over the last while....
Every happening is a parable from God. The art of living is in figuring what it means ~Malcolm Muggeridge
Isn't that the truth, eh? So I am hoping I look at my every day happenings a little differently. I'm trying to think about them in a relational way. I realize that in order to interact on a deeper level, there needs to be integrity to the relationship. Have I worked toward that?
How far do I want to go in life? Do I want to do things on my own as an individual, or collectively with other people? How does that impact my tendencies as a North American?
How do I see the people I encounter? They are different than me, do I recognize and celebrate that? Can I step into their shoes, peel back my own judgments?
And when something happens that makes me really angry, do I look at the lesson behind it? Do I ask myself, What am I supposed to learn? Do I stick my head in the sand because it's too hard?
Do I walk away because of self preservation or as an act of real peace? Do I act in order to bring health and shalom?
Whew.....I'ze tired, but I'm still thinking....
3 comments:
hmmm...very thought provoking! Doesn't Beth teach in such a neat way...it just makes sense. ( and i love trying to guess what outfit she'll be wearing each session). you gave make lots of think about.I'm so happy God doesn't give up on me...and that if I am willing, He can change me! where would I be without HIM?
wow. love your thoughts on the peace-maker stuff. definitely lots of stuff to ponder in this post, girl.
and on another note...HAPPY NEW YEAR!! i hope you enjoy celebrating it in your new (but TEMPORARY home...remember, you are coming home eventually...)
ps: i STILL haven't mailed your picture card yet of our family. now that we get our mail directly on our street and don't have to go to the post office for it anymore, i don't have as many opportunity to buy international stamps. poor excuse, i know -- but it IS coming...just really, really late. :)
some good thoughts...i too think i'm guilty at times of being a peace keeper..as opposed to being a peace maker!
Post a Comment